Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Home For The Holidays Hop Stop: Turkey Spaghetti

With holidays, family time, shopping, Christmas programs, and everything else life is about to get really hectic for some of us.   Others of us (cough, cough Dariel) have probably already got it all organized out on their calendar, even planning for spontaneous naughty guests like I would be, to throw her a monkey wrench on the day of the plans.  I adore her so I have to tease her.  She knows I miss it already.

Anyway, the theme of this blog hop hosted by The Romance Troupe is to celebrate the holidays and share a favorite recipe with our readers.  So I bring you a family favorite.  I have blogged it on a recipe blog a few years ago but at the holidays this is a great one to share.  If you organize and plan well you can keep this in your freezer and pull out to cook on the day of your plans.  Or you can realize you need to use the rest of your turkey leftovers before they spoil and quickly throw it together to surprise your family.

Turkey Spaghetti
Cooked turkey cut/torn into chunks – use your best guess here on how meat heavy you want to make the dish.   I use between 1-2 cups (Orig recipe calls for chicken and that’s great but I’m talking about how to use that extra turkey right now and I actually prefer turkey we’ve done it that way so often)
1 box of cooked spaghetti
2 cans of cream of soup (orig recipe calls for cream of chicken & cream of celery but almost any 2 cream soups work well, I’ve mixed and matched with mushroom/celery – mushroom/broc, etc)
1 jar of Cheese Whiz (generic works and so does Ragu – here’s the deal if you use a thick sauce like Cheese whiz you’ll need to use a soup can of milk if you use something runny like a jar of Ragu cheese sauce skip the milk)
2 cups shredded cheddar

While you’re cooking your noodles, mix together the soup and cheese sauce in a sauce pan.  Heat and mix them.   Drain noodles.  Dump it all in a casserole dish with the turkey and stir.   Throw the cheese on top.  Throw in oven at 350 for 30 minutes or so.  Everything is cooked so you’re really just baking the flavors together and melting the cheese on top.  It’s a mish mash recipe of sorts because it’s so easy to make it work with almost any variation on the ingredients.  And to be honest I’ve made it so often I don’t even measure things like how much turkey I throw in there, I eyeball it.
We love turkey spaghetti almost as much as turkey day in our house!

Now to the book stuff:

I have a couple of exciting things to share! I’ll be in an anthology with the other Romance Troupe’rs in February.   I’m also working on a new contemporary romance.  This one will be the first in a trilogy and involves some sexy, hot firemen.

Untameable Heat: Lilith’s Freedom received a review and if you haven’t checked it out yet – here’s a little snippet of what reviewer Natalie had to say:
The setting was nice - The Master's Lair reminded me of the demon club in Lilith Saintcrow's Kismet Series, a place you want to go but don't want to get caught! There are some really good scenes in there and I enjoyed the short read.”

The full review can be found here: Satin Sheets

Leave a comment with your email to be entered into the grand prize.  Feel free to share one of your favorite holiday recipes or cooking tips.   I’m also going to be doing a giveaway so make sure you hit the rafflecopter.

Thanks for stopping by.  I can’t wait to hear from you.
In the meantime make sure you stop by all of the hop bloggers to get a chance at that prize pack.  


a Rafflecopter giveaway

61 comments:

  1. That recipe looks tasty and a different way to use up leftovers.
    I look forward to the firemen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carpediem5366@yahoo.com My tip is butter, use it alot on the turkey. so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use butter on the turkey - in the potato's - in the corn.....lol my mom was cooking Paula Dean before she knew that woman's name LOL

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe and joining this giveaway! My tip is to cook your turkey in a cooking bag and rub chicken bullion all over the skin.

    melaniemcclure@knology.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo I've never tried that with chicken bullion I bet that is full of flavor

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the recipe. My tip is chicken or turkey stock on hand, it comes in handy.
    skpetal at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays. Thank you for the amazing giveaway. esseboo@yahoo.com I always try to have an activity planned for the kids so they will have something to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for participating in the blog hop!
    eliseandtegan@gmail.com

    My tip is to decorate with candy canes if you are busy, you will always have a small gift to give company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arts and crafts!! Kids entertainment!! lol....

    viajeradelmar@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been awhile since we had little ones at our table so I forget these things, great reminder!

      Delete
  8. The spaghetti sounds yummy! Makes me wish my boys didn't eat all the turkey on Thanksgiving Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it with chicken too :) I usually use a whole fryer and boil it for Chicken & Dumplings then use the other half to make this

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the recipe bbyg612@YAHOO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for that recipe. It will be great having something different to do with the left over turkey on Thanksgiving :D As for a tip, The best tip i can give anyone in the kitchen is Think & Taste. If u come across a recipe & u try it out, dont stop there. think about what you could add to it or take away from it that would make it BETTER :D The next is Taste as you cook. See if you have enough salt, then add more. Does it need MORE....Less then take a note. Dont be afraid & tackle something new cause you never know if you'll like it til you try it. Big Hugs

    Missie Jones
    missie25524 (at) netzero (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip! when I was newly married I was just following mom's recipes & didn't taste I couldn't understand why my noodles were bland lol

      Delete
  11. Thank you for your recipe. Marie.mattingly88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never thought to use Turkey... I make it with chicken sometimes gonna have to try this recipe :) Thanks for being part of the hop.

    j.m.platt83@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the orig calls for chicken but it works so well with turkey too :)

      Delete
  13. Looks yummy. Thanks for a great post and awesome giveaway!!!!!
    kac_030@yahoo.com
    My tip is to inject turkey night before cooking with whatever flavors you love. Mine turns out so moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried injecting on the turkey but I've thought about it before, I'll have to try it

      Delete
  14. My tip is to keep it simple so you can enjoy the day. delphinareadstoomuch at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ny food hint is this Check your spices-most only have a shelf life of 6 months. Buy the freshest herbs and spices you can for optimum flavor. Oh, and the red colored ones- keep refrigerated otherwise bugs show up in them.
    JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip! I started a food network magazine subscription a few years ago and got into cooking a bunch of things through it and fresh herbs are soooo much better in the food than McCormick's.

      Delete
  16. I like your recipe! Something different is what I am always on the lookout for! Thanks and have a happy thanksgivinig! amybowens34@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome recipe! My tip is to try and get someone else to do the cooking, if not just prepare everything you are able to in advance :-) caraolson24@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha I was sick on Thanksgiving last year and kiddo gave me the flu on Christmas so I like your tip :) Hubby has learned well in 15 years he did an excellent job.

      Delete
  18. My tip is to let the kids do the easy prep work. Yes it's more clean up , but the memories are worth it.

    koonie2888 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo and always make holiday cookies with them. I have neighborhood kids that still knock on the door at 14 wanting to know when our annual cookie day will be.

      Delete
  19. Great recipe!
    Robin
    lovbooks641@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the recipe, I never tried that and I have added to my collection. Thanks for the hop and giveaway, hope you have a wonderful holiday season.
    koala571 (at) msn (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds great, definitely have to try that one. Thanks for sharing the hop and your giveaway. Wishing everyone a wonderful and magical holiday season. evamillien at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. My fave is paczki (Polish donuts) that we only make twice a year (on Christmas and Fat Thursday).

    Thanks for the amazing giveaway!
    elizabeth @ bookattict . com
    GFC: BookAttict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fun tradition - my mom often made us biscuit doughnuts on Christmas when I was little.

      Delete
  23. Thanks for the awesome hop.
    magic5905 at embarqmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sound like an interesting recipe!

    smurfettev AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  25. That sounds like an excellent way to use up leftover turkey...and I know I'll have a lot this year! My best cooking tip is to keep a sink full of hot soapy water and clean dishes as you go. An organized cook is a happy cook, and my meal turns out so much better when I'm not running around trying to find and wash the dish I need.

    dancingcelt at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love pumpkin pie.
    Thanks for the chance to win!
    natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - hope you get all the pumpkin pie you can eat this year :)

      Delete
  27. I make something very similar with the left over turkey, but I add chopped broccoli for a veggie element.

    blueshedevil32 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good...broccoli is one of my favorite soups to add to it so I bet with fresh it is better.

      Delete
  28. I have used chicken but I make it different than your directions.I like your recipe and I've written it down. Thank you for sharing and helping out in this giveaway.
    Angela
    angie1977t@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi! Turkey spaghetti? Yum! I hate hamburger. Im very partial to chicken spaghetti. Ive never tried turkey. Definitely gonna!! Sounds so yummy! And i agree with Mer on her tip. A sick of ready water is a must! I know my kitchen quickly gets out of control! Thank you for sharing and for the giveaway!! Happy Thanksgiving!
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it :) This was originally chicken but when I was a newlywed with way more turkey than two of us could eat I got creative and 15 years later.......waa laa we're still eating it.

      Delete
  30. Thank you for sharing this recipe - I'm going to let my dad know about, since he is on a restricted diet and can't eat red meat.

    Thank you for being part of this great hop!
    Karen(dot)arrowood(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - I hope he enjoys it :)

      Delete