Monday, September 3, 2012

Scars From a Memoir Review

When I read Memoirs Aren't Fairytales by Marni Mann something about the story gripped me immediately and didn't let me go until I had devoured the book in a few hours. It left an impression that was harder to shake. I found myself unable to stop thinking about Nicole, everything she put herself through, her friends, her family, and how her story would possibly continue and still keep the reader as interested. I was very lucky to get a review copy of Scars from a Memoir. I think those readers that complained the first one wrapped up with a neat little bow at the end will be pleased with how this tale continues.

Scars picks up 2.5 years from where Fairytales left us. Nicole has just finished her prison sentence and is continuing her life journey. We get a brief glimpse into how her time in prison played out and then we move into a clean living facility with her. From there she must learn how to live a sober life. She needs to get a job, meet new people, and start where most of us start when we leave home or college. Except most of us don't have the scars from a memoir to worry about as we do these things.

Her past mistakes and bad choices will continue to haunt and plague her new life. The author expertly weaved in enough of her back story to allow someone who hasn't read Fairytales to get a pretty good idea of all of the things she had experienced in the first novel. I also loved how she tied in the old characters with her new characters and gave us a glimpse of where everyone was at now.

This was a lot easier to read as it didn't touch on as many of the gritty details. They were woven in and there were moments they were there but for the most part, I felt like this was a big difference from the shocking expose the first novel had been. Nicole becomes much more like-able in this one. I think readers will find themselves torn at times because are they actually feeling sympathy for this girl? Or are they maintaining the hard stance that she brought all of these problems on herself? This would be an excellent book club discussion novel for this reason. I think each reader is going to have their own mind set when they read these books and they are going to feel strongly on one end of the spectrum or the other about the main character. This one gives them a chance to maybe change their mind or come around a little bit but not everyone will. She did some really horrible things while she was under the spell of addiction and caused some very tragic events. For every choice there is a consequence. This novel spells that out in big, neon letters.

This is a tough read but I think some college students would benefit from the experience of reading both of these novels as well. This is a young lady that started out just having fun. Using experimental drugs with friends. Her story shows what a Pandora's Box that can open. Much like Fairytales, I think Scars will leave a mark on the reader. It's not a book you can easily forget. It will haunt your thoughts for a long time.

My only tiny complaint would have been I would have liked to get to know some of the side characters a little bit better since they play an integral role at the end of the story. I do highly recommend these two novels. Even if a person has never touched a drug in their life, I think these two novels open the reader's eyes to the mind set of some addicts.

****Also published on Goodreads & Amazon***

No comments:

Post a Comment